4 May 2009

I love you, you big dummy!


Seeing that this is a blog about post-punk amongst other things, I think it’s about time I actually posted some.

Magazine are often held aloft with Joy Division, The Fall and Buzzcocks as the cream of the north-west regiment of post-punk, but I was always left a little cold by them. That was until I heard “I Love You, You Big Dummy”.

Taking a few quintessential elements of what became the post-punk sound, the scratchy guitars, the saw-like bass and the whirling organs, “I Love You, You Big Dummy” is a propulsive, repulsive love song, angry at itself, angry at being tricked into falling in love (perhaps the most un-punk thing imaginable) and builds to a climax of resented triumph, because love always eventually triumphs…BLEURGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like the MP3 of Magazine – I Love You, You Big Dummy has been removed so here's it on YouTube...