26 Apr 2010

Black Devil



I moved recently. The stresses and strains have subsided to leave me with the little pleasures. One of these is reconnecting with my collection.

According to the receipt, on the 22nd April 2004 I went to Spillers and bought Black Devil "Disco Club" (Rephlex).

Odd-ball proto-electro from 1978 doesn't really age. Still gob-smackingly funky and still sounds like the future.

This futuristic sound has led to accusations of fakery, that it couldn't possibly have been made in the late 70s. The record is even more incredulous when you think that MIDI wasn't around in 1978. Factor in that it was made by two hermetic French music librarians and it all starts to get a bit rich.

The head of Lo Recordings (who released their subsequent albums) came to my uni and showed us some music videos. As most people didn't know who he was nor cared for the videos, I was free to badger him about Black Devil Disco Club. He assured me that they are old French guys. But he might have a vested interest.

I believe. Not that it matters. Whenever it was made, it's stonking.