11 Nov 2010

Saturday Night's Alright For Thinking



In last Friday's Guardian, John Harris wrote a piece for the comment & debate section called "Someone out there, please pick up a guitar and howl". It was a lament for the current lack of political ideas and stances in music. As ever it focussed solely on guitar music and rock in general, as if only rock can protest.

Now I'm not the only person to take umbrage with this. Indeed Mike Harding from BBC Radio 2 wrote in stating the case for folk. I wanted to make the case for electronic music. Yet the more I thought about it, I couldn't make one. Maybe my knowledge of the electro-scape has subsided but I couldn't think of one track to back my case.

The argument has always been that the majority of electronic music is escapist. Dance-floor fodder for hedonists, that politics has no place in the disco. But even in the pieces designed for the headphones of home, you won't find any form of dialogue.

Is this a dereliction of duty by producers or a further point of differentiation between the worlds of rock and electronic music?