24 Apr 2013

The 5 Second Rule


Many writers more erudite than me have explored the ways that technology and the internet have altered the consumption of music.

But I think we can all agree there is simply no way of keeping up with the tsunami of tunes. If a song doesn't hook a little after one play then it's lost at sea. That's if it gets played all the way through.

I heard the guy who made the Wonderbra advert talking on the radio a few weeks ago. Trevor Beattie was announcing the death of the 30 second TV advert, proselytising about the 5 second advert (coincidentally the amount of time before you can skip an advert on YouTube if you don't have the right plug-in).

I've been tossing this around in my head and I think it applies to music too. I've only just got around to listening to Mike G's Chanel. I've had the EP for yonks but the intro sounds like some shitty house track that I always skip before he starts rhyming. I'm sure I'm not the only trigger-happy listener.Will this skipping atmosphere, this "tapas experience" as Beattie puts it start affecting how producers compose their music?

One new track that definitely plays all its cards straight away is Computer Jay and Gaslamp Killer's womping Sundial Meltdown (hotlink via XLR8R). It makes its point, wibbles and wobbles a bit but tells you everything you need to know pretty quickly.



Fuck it, maybe prog'll make a comeback.