13 May 2013

First Thoughts: Random Access Memories



Finally there's an official stream of Daft Punk's Random Access Memories, available through iTunes.

Admittedly I'm saying this after one quick listen but I think Random Access Memories is a grower not a shower; there's clearly lots of interesting little things and every tiny detail has been wrangled, if not strangled, over. Yet aside from Pharrell's contributions, the bumpin' Doin' It Right and the quite frankly fucking insane Giorgio by Moroder, the album struggles to grab one by the balls.

It'll also perplex anyone who earnestly uses the term EDM, with the widely reported disco influences supplemented by soft-rock and prog-rock touches; I'd say some of it sounds like The Eagles if I had actually listened to any of their songs aside from Hotel California, while some of it sounds like Pink Floyd if I had actually listened to any of their songs in full.

So yeah... still gonna buy it though.