4 Oct 2016

Monday Morning Mixtapes For Offices


I've had an interest in work-based music selections since I did my dissertation down in what is now the University of Falmouth (was University College Falmouth in my day).

It was called "What's the Point of In-store Radio?" and I originally wanted to take a Marxist approach, detailing how it was used to affect the mood and output of workers. Just like China, I eventually gave up on Marxism and switched to consumerism, with a study of the affects of music on shoppers and coffee-quaffers in a basic compare and contrast between ASDA FM Live and Starbucks. If you've got nothing better to do with your time you can read it here, replete with typos and terrible spelling.

Back to the here and now, I got in early to the office this morning and thought sod it, let's put some tunes on. So with my Listen Later list on MixCloud fired up, I started on VF Mix 65: Eastern Disco by Moscoman for The Vinyl Factory. By the time my colleagues started piling in, I'd moved on to Stamp The Wax's Monday Morning Mixtape series. And even though it was a Tuesday, there was consensus that this was some good shit. We stuck with it till lunchtime because even though we disregard days of the week, we hold the difference between AM and PM as sacred.



Were we more productive? Maybe. Was our mood improved? I think so. Like Cuba, maybe I should've stuck with Marxism?