8 Dec 2017

You Want To Make Something Real. You Want To Make A Jazz Record.


Of course I've got A Love Supreme. I also had a burned copy of Kind of Blues. I even scanned and printed the artwork, featuring the POP sticker in the top right-hand corner that Cardiff Central Library placed on all its CDs way back when. So yeah I know jazz.

Well all the jazz I need to know according to Q or Mojo or whoever compiles those 50 albums you must hear before your face falls off lists. John Coltrane and Miles Davis are always the token jazz entries. And when I was 17 I thought I was a serious music fan and that I should have A Love Supreme and Kind of Blue to prove I was a serious music fan. So I got them and I barely listened to them. In fact I think Kind of Blue went in the burned CD purge of the Eco House. So yeah I don't know jazz.

Still this ferocious cut by Pharoah Sanders, which James Holden played at the end off his one-off NTS show this week, caught my ear.



Nice. Can see why he made James Murphy's list.

Original Image: Villanueva at hu.wikipedia [Public domain], from Wikimedia Commons