5 Jan 2021

Top 10 Things I Heard in 2020


What a shit year. 

COVID and Cummings. 

Andrew Weatherall and MF DOOM. 

My dad. 


Fuck.


I was tempted not to bother. But we can heal through routine. 

As with previous years, this list isn't the best music to come out in 2020, it's the best stuff I heard for the first time this year. In fact, most of the following didn't come out in 2020. It was a year to forget after all.

[Also, I thought I'd do a playlist instead of post individually - bite me]

10. Special Request - Spectral Frequency

9. Sonic Youth - I Love You Golden Blue

8. Polli Ji - Meant To Be (Original Mix)

7. Bustin

6. No_4mat - 1992

5. Tyler, the Creator - Best Interest

4. iamamiwhoami - Good Worker

3. Oneohtrix Point Never - Chrome Country

2. (K)NoW_NAME - Night SURFING

1. Carli - Lights and Strobes 

Bonus round:

News of the year: COVID vaccines or Wales not playing Ireland again in World Cup Qualifying. Too close to call.

YouTube Channel/stream of the year: 🇯🇵 Japanese 70s 80s New Music Soul Funk Disco Fusion City Pop Kayou Reggae 和モノ ニューミュージック🗼from New J Channel. Also, shout out to William Maranci for the mash-ups and belly laughs.

Mix of the year: “TEKI AND NICK’S MIXTAPE QUEST ADVENTURE” (テキとニックのUミクステップクイエスト大冒険).

Also, I want to give special thanks to NTS Radio, especially Charlie Bones on the breakfast show for helping me get through working from home this year. 

Related post: Top 10 Things I Heard in 2019