30 Dec 2014

Dub Techno Will Never Die

Image Credit: Lektrolab (CC Licence)

I've been working my way through FACT's 25 Best Dub Techno Records Of All Time over the past couple of mornings after they re-posted the article on Christmas Day on their Facebook page. As we all know, nothing says Christmas like a bunch of Germans channelling Lee 'Scratch' Perry.

That being said, the dub techno scene was far wider than just Basic Channel getting deep in Berlin in 1995, with US and Kiwi producers getting in on the act. In fact there are still people making this stuff, though FACT admits it fell out of fashion in the early-00s, but who cares about fashion?

I've had a pleasant couple of mornings working my way through this list, listening to it as I get back into the Game Of Thrones books and wait for Plus One Loo to arise. If I had to pick a highlight I think I'll go for the woozy yet driving Nautical Dub by Porter Ricks...


If only I knew about it while reporting on the Nautical House scene.