20 Feb 2021

9 in 1 (4)


Nine more songs for Lockdown 3's endless times.


Time Zone - World Destruction


No doubt he's an insufferable prick now, but I still find something compelling in John Lydon's hectoring vocals. Add in some classic Afrika Bambaataa and some German dudes and you're on to a winner.

Shanghai Au Go Go - I Cried All Winter

Same TBH. Still, this is some stellar coldwave from 1982.

SOPHIE - Ponyboy

I have to say, this may well be my favourite song about pegging. RIP SOPHIE.

Vanity 6 - Make-Up

Prince invented electroclash in 1982. Here's the proof.

Madlib - Dirtknock 

Madlib, arranged by Four Tet, sampling Cardiff's Young Marble Giants? Was always gonna make it into a post on yerr.

Quinn - ok im cool

This is what I imagine all the kids listen to. All of them. Every single one of Gen Z. I don't usually go in for mumble rap or whatever this is called (pipe down grandad), but there's something in the skittish drums and meandering bass here. 

The Doobie Brothers - It Keeps You Runnin'

I'm struggling to think of a band with a more naff name. Ditto, the intro to this song. But boy does it kick on. Michael McDonald's vocals, man.

The Roches - Hammond Song

Talking of vocals, the voices here and this song is like transcendental. Purity in sound. 

New Order - Regret (Sabres Slow 'N' Low Mix)

Fail we may, sail we must.

Related post: 9 in 1 (3)