21 Feb 2021

Inspiral Cardiff Sports Bar

Last month on Socially Distant Sports Bar, Elis James picked Cardiff City - The Movie, a short film by Johnny Owen for City's 2008 FA Cup Final appearance.

I remember watching it before the final, and it's an odd one for me, as it speaks to a slightly older football fan and one who supports a different team from what I do. Yet it still stirs something in me. 

FYI I'm one of those armchair fans following a side 200 miles away. I always used to say I got my sporting disappointment from following Wales but that's gone out the window now. 

Still, there's always good old, bad old Glamorgan for that hit of local sporting despair. Plus I'm a Jacksonville Jaguars fan, so I also support shit teams from afar.

Where was I? Yes, despite not following the Bluebirds, Cardiff City - The Movie still resonates. Especially the stuff on the cultural hegemony of rugby here. It's that good a film. It's honest and poetic, without being wanky.

And it also has a proper soundtrack, kicking off with I Want You by Inspiral Carpets featuring Mark E. Smith of The Fall.

Also, how long ago does 2008 look and feel?