31 Dec 2021

9 in 1 (12)


Babe, are you OK? You've barely touched your playlist of mumbangers, Italo-disco, and one of the funkiest records I've ever heard.


Lone - ROYGBIV

Only one place to start this list and it's with Lone's cover of Boards Of Canada. Yep, not a remix or edit, a straight-up cover. It's a pay what you want jobbie on his Bandcamp, and any money generated goes to the Mind mental health charity.

Stereolab - Brakhage

Stereolab gonna Stereolab. 60s infused space music from the future like.

Q Lazzarus - Goodbye Horses

Epic late 80s - I was gonna say mumbanger, but I'm not sure how big this was - synth-pop? Wikipedia has it as post-punk / darkwave. I don't know what it is, but I think it's stunning - moody, moving, and a little weird. Love it.

Colin Newman - Commercial Suicide

The same could be said of Commercial Suicide, another slice of synth-pop that skews weird from the guy from Wire.

Fleetwood Mac - Little Lies

OK, now this is 100% a mumbanger. The definition of a mumbanger.

MFSB - Mysteries Of The World

This might just be the funkiest thing I've heard. It's dripping in funk. Drowning in it, mate. What makes me love it, even more, is that in the comments section under the video, someone says Ian Wright played it on the radio. I'm choosing to believe that's Arsenal legend, Ian Wright. Shout out to Ian Wright.

Tullio de Piscopo - Stop Bajon

This stomps. And swings. Thumping Neapolitan disco from 1984 that's straight into my Top 10 of 2021. A Do!! You!!! Radio / Charlie Bones staple. Shout out to Charlie Bones.

Daft Punk - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger (The Neptunes Remix)

How have I never heard this before? Like seriously, how? Also the first time I've posted about The Neptunes in what, 12 years I've been posting here? Up is down. 

TNGHT - Brick Figures

Another list, another maxi-mini trap banger from your boys Lunice and Hudson Mohawke with a Cool 3D World-style video. This time with a SOPHIE twist in there. Nice nice. 

Related post: 9 in 1 (11)