19 Mar 2022

Just a couple of mixes I've been enjoying recently

In a wild break from the norm, here's a post that's not about my radio show, an album review I've written for Buzz Magazine, or a narrativeless YouTube Playlist.

Instead, here are three mixes I've been enjoying over the past couple of weeks.


Lugg & Potter 1987 Mix

Dwi'n wedi gwrando i'r mix 'na, pryd dwi'n wedi fynd ymweld i Weston-super-Mare... that's not right, is it? I'm trying to say that I listened to this mix when I went to Weston-super-Mare. 

First played on Huw Stephens' show on BBC Radio Cymru on 24 February 2022, it was made "in celebration of the rerelease of Traddodiad Ofnus' Welsh Tourist Bored album, [and is] a selection of music from the period that inspired us..."

Two main things I took from Lugg & Potter 1987 Mix:

1. I learned where the vocal sample for Lennie De Ice's rave classic We Are i.e comes from (Chaba Fadela - N'sel fik).

2. Like with Brodyr y Ffin - Dal i Freuddwydio recently, if someone can hook me up with an mp3 of Ffenestri - Oes y Cyfrifiaduron to play on Amser Electroneg that would be boss.


Bleep Mix #229 - The Gaslamp Killer: Broadcast Special

Warp released/re-released a couple of hard-to-find Broadcast albums this week. So for the latest Bleep Mix, they got The Gaslamp Killer to stitch together some rarer Broadcast tracks. Well hauntological.


Steve Reich In The Afternoon 18: Ukraine Electronic

Can I just take a moment to applaud that title? Lovely stuff. Anyway, Welsh techno don Ffrancon presents "Five tracks of electronic music from Ukraine, found on Bandcamp." Again, lovely stuff.


Photo credit: Original image - Knud Winckelmann, CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons