9 Jan 2023

9 in 1 (19)

Hi, how are you?

Sparks - Tryouts for the Human Race

Because I'm a dedicated father, one night, after the CBeebies Bedtime Story finished, I flicked around the channels on the hunt for something else to end amser gwely.

The big lad Hypnos smiled down at me. I could ignore CITV and the truly dire POP. BBC Four was showing lots of old kids' TV shows as part of the #BBC100 celebrations. Bagpuss was brill but then it switched to Crackerjack. And halfway through, just as we were both slipping off, Sparks suddenly appeared banging out Tryouts for the Human Race. Lovely stuff. Here's the extended alternate version.

Wings - Listen To What The Man Said

They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Paul McCartney - Frozen Jap

Both this and the Wings track featured on this old Radio Jiro show that NTS repeated before Christmas. And bam, about six months after Glastonbury, I'm suddenly a Paul McCartney fan. I mean this track is extraordinary, an odd-ball minimal synth workout from 1980.

Dwight Druick - Georgy Porgy (Disco Version)

French language take of Toto's yacht-rock banger. All day.

Should probably include something from this century in this list.

Sally Shapiro - Holiday

The best I can do is a recent cover of Madonna. Sally Shapiro do their breathy Swedish synthpop thing for an Italians Do It Better tribute comp to Madge.

Moodymann - The Thief That Stole My Sad Days (Ya Blessin Me)

Spiritual, spiritual house music. The build and release of that kick. Yes, mate.

Juniore - Panique

Moody indie-pop from France. C'est Bon, buddy.

Aphex Twin - Soundlab20

I ventured back onto Reddit during post-Christmas purgatory. And there was this Aphex World Cup graphic, where someone did a knockout comp ranking AFX tracks. I can't remember what won, but Soundlab20 went deep in the comp. And it was new to me like, so here it is like.

Marie Davidson - Work It (Soulwax Remix)

Been on a bit of a Soulwax tip recently, what with the 20th anniversary of As Heard on Radio Soulwax Pt. 2 and that. While I 100% disagree with the lyrical content of this track, it still bangs.

Related post: 9 in 1 (18)