5 Jan 2023

Top 10 Things I Heard in 2022


Here are the top 10 things I heard in 2022 in one YouTube playlist. About a month after everyone else amiright!

As with the other times I've done this, it's not necessarily new stuff from 2022, but 2022 was the first year I heard it. Some of it is old, I'm old, everything is old. There's no order and I've also got my album, radio moment, mix, and sound of 2022 below.

Album of the year 2022

Dry Cleaning - Stumpwork. Conservative Hell.

Mix of the year 2022

Odilo's NTS show from October. Mid-00s electro is back baby, not that it ever really went anywhere in my silly old world.

Radio moment of the year 2022

Charlie Bones playing Two Months Off by Underworld three times in a row on Do!! You!!! Radio. Maybe you had to be listening at the time but it was on a Friday in June and it felt joyous. Properly, rave-around-the-room joyous.

Best sound in 2022

The final whistle at Wales v Ukraine. Don't let what happened in Qatar ruin what was a magical moment. I've never felt a sensation like it. Here's to a proper tournament in Germany in 2024.

===

Anyway, so long 2022, you were shit. But less shit than 2021, which was less shit than 2020. Let's see if this upward trajectory lasts.

Related post: Top 10 Things I Heard in 2021