22 Sept 2013

Dimitar Berbatov, Hip Hop Bangers & The Light

I'm off to watch Cardiff City take on Fulham on Saturday and no this isn't a post about the Michael Jackson statue (though it better still be there when we go).

I'm getting a lift up in a Saab and to stop what happened the last time I was in one (I fell asleep within 10 minutes on the way to Worcester to watch Glamorgan play) and to bridge the differing tastes in the car, we're bringing ten tracks from our sixth form years; for us that's 2001 - 2003. Unity through nostalgia.

I went straight for some hip hop bangers - Pharoahe Monch - Simon Says, ODB - Baby, I Got Your Money, DMX - X Gon' Give It To Ya, Adam F & Redman - Smash Something - but that's pretty revisionist; my mate Huw was the hip hop head, I was into twee electronica and IDM.

A big influence at the time was The Blue Room and in particular Chris Coco's Ibiza By Day cover-mount mix for MUZIK. Aside from Manitoba (now Caribou)'s Dundas, Ontario the highlight is Schneider TM's The Light 3000, a woozy electronic cover of The Smith's There's A Light That Never goes out.

I've revised the ten tracks I'm taking; there's only a couple of hip hop bangers now but there still wasn't space for The Light 3000, as it's not exactly lad's on tour music, so I've posted it here.


[Right-click and "Download Document" for the mp3 of The Light 3000 by Schneider TM]

P.S. 2001-2003 was surprisingly good for music.