9 May 2018

GWTF 21: This Is America



Go With The Flow returns with something that's everywhere.


Childish Gambino's This Is America feels like a moment. Watercooler. Ubiquitous.

#1 on trending on YouTube. The commentariat kicking up and continuing with the think-pieces. The Genius breakdown of the lyrics becoming the quickest to hit a million pageviews. The WatchMojo Top 5 Things You Didn’t Notice in Childish Gambino’s “This Is America” Video video. The inevitable point-missing memes (yes there's dank Simpsons ones). The satire...



They were even discussing it on BBC Radio 4 when I drove to work on Tuesday.

It's everywhere and it should be.

And there's gonna be a lot of documentaries made in the future trying to explain what we're going through now. And This Is America will feature heavily. Race, violence, distraction, chaos, confusion. Donald Glover might have the hop on the future doc-makers.

And for all the discussions around it, not enough has been said about what a banger it is.

My one thing though - and stop reading as I could ruin it for you - is towards the end of the second verse. The "Hunnid bands, hunnid bands, hunnid bands." This Is America joins John Foxx's Underpass in songs where I only hear Underpants. Underpants, underpants, underpants.

Did I write a quick blog on Childish Gambino's Important-with-a-capital-I track to share my underpants problem? Maybe. Should I check my privilege? Yeah, probably.

Still a banger though.

Original image by Theshibboleth [GFDL or CC-BY-SA-3.0], via Wikimedia Commons