16 May 2021

Sorry, Dad


We finally made it up Fan Brycheiniog to scatter my dad's ashes. We chose his birthday to do it. Better late than never.

Naturally, I've been thinking about my dad a lot. What we had in common (it's cricket season after all) and what we didn't. One area we didn't see eye-to-eye on was music. Now, my dad liked music, just none of the stuff I liked. And vice versa.

In particular, I found it bizarre that he treated all hip-hop, even classic rap like De La Soul and NWA, as this new fangled sound. Like, he was in his mid to late 20s when hip hop went mainstream, surely he grew up with it.

Then I got it.

Loo and I were watching The Hit List the other day. And I couldn't get a single one of the 2010s music questions right. 80s, 90s, 2000s yep. But the 2010s? Nothing in the tank. Loo smashed it mind, spending the decade in retail helps. 

But I kept thinking, I was 25 when the 2010s started, surely I was still with it? I mean, I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too.

Goddamn it. Sorry, dad, I get it now. 

I'm still not gonna get into Yes, though Roundabout ain't bad...


Speak soon.