8 Aug 2021

9 in 1 (6)


Here we are again. Nine tracks I've been enjoying this past week or so. 

Some old stuff that sounds like new stuff, some new stuff that sounds like old stuff. Dub reggae, EBMish techno, a krautrock-y remix and so much more. It's another one of these x in 1 (x) lists, baby.
   

Tim Burgess - I Got This (Andy Votel Remix)

Turns out that guy who does those listening parties on Twitter makes music too. Andy Votel spins The Charlatans singer's latest release into a propulsive krautrock jam. Tidy stuff and surprisingly the first Andy Votel remix on this blog.

Wet Leg - Chaise Longue

This is my song of the summer. Big Le Tigre vibes. Deadpan female vocals, indie disco action, daft lyrics. Was always gonna be into it. Frank is a fan too. 

Biz Markie - Bennie and The Jets

BENNIE! A perfect example of something that isn't technically a good performance, but is a brilliant performance through sheer personality, stagecraft, and fun. RIP Biz.

Todd Rundgren - Can We Still Be Friends

Rundgren was another one of those acts my Dad liked but he thought I wouldn't. Can We Still Be Friends is from a later album but I've been listening to A Wizard, A True Star a lot recently from my Dad's collection.

Willie Williams - Armagideon Time

Will I be cancelled if I say that my first thought when this comes on is to go 'rub-a-dub-dub-dub'? Came across this again on an old DJ Vadim mixtape. As in a mix that I taped from the radio years ago. For I am ancient.

NN - Deception (Original Mix)

Head down, dark and stormy techno with big EBM energy. Amelie Lens opened her recent Residency show with it. Brutal.

Panda Bear - Cosplay

David Holmes played this on a recent NTS show and man did it make me wish I wasn't stuck at my desk on a grey weekday. It's from the Animal Collective's...  I was gonna say drummer but he does kinds everything in the band... It's from his 2015 Crosswords EP. 

Brân - Y Gwylwyr

Shout out to NTS once again. Welsh psychedelic folk-rock from 1975. Into it.

Edwin Birdsong - Cola Bottle Baby

Right, now there's sampling, and then there's Daft Punk lifting the whole opening 20 seconds here for Harder Better Faster Stronger. My life is a lie.