26 Aug 2021

9 in 1 (7)

I could've just put the soundtrack to Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars on the Nintendo DS on this list, I've been playing it that much. Violent Micro Machines, love it. 

But no, here's some bangers instead...  

The Gloaming - Allistrum's March

Well, there was only one place I could start. Charlie Bones has left the building. He quit his breakfast show on NTS last Friday. The Do!! You!!! Breakfast show is no more... on NTS anyway. 

You may have seen me mention it a few times over the last 18 months but his show has been a lifesaver. Every day, from 9am till midday, it's got me through the pandemic, working under the stairs and now out in the country, Charlie Bones has been there bringing the vibes. 

Onwards man, onwards, can't wait to hear what you'll be doing next.

Allistrum's March was the opener for the final show and over which he announced his departure. Man, I'm gutted.


Fatima Yahama - What's A Girl To Do

One of many jams from the final Do!! You!!! my word I wish I caught this when it came out in 2004. That synth line is to die for, what a vibe, convertible cars and empty motorways and beaches at night, yes mate.


Joy Orbison - Better

The choice cut from Still Slipping Vol 1. Joy Orbison's first long-player. Big up for calling your Bandcamp Toss Portal, boo-urns for charging £5.99 postage for a cassette.


Prefuse 73 - Detchibe

Another one of those rediscoveries from having the CDs out again, this is on an old Mr Scruff mix CD. I do have One Word Extinguisher but hey, I pulled out Keep It Solid Steel Volume 1 first. Still sounds futuristic despite coming out in 2003, unreal beat-making.


Kola Bendy - Song of the Fisherman

Creep Zone gonna Creep Zone, James Pants brought the Soviet-Siberian disco on his most recent show. Seriously, someone should just do an edit of the last 5-10 seconds, splice in the instrumental at 1:40, absolute jam.


David Bowie - Ragazzo Solo, Ragazza Sola

Space Oddity in Italian anyone? As in sung in Italian by David Bowie? Wuzza wuzza.


Todd Rundgren - Sometimes I Don't Know What To Feel

A second "x in 1" appearance in a row for the original Todd the God (apologies to Todd Edwards). The horns on this are divine, proper soul music. Love it, what a groove, wish my Dad hadn't kept this from me all those years. I reckon he would've dug that track at the start by The Gloaming as well. Oh well.


Haley Bonar - Kismet Kill

Completely missed this in 2016, big 90s indie rock feel here and the "We're the kids who've got kids at parties" line cuts deep RN.


The Chemical Brothers - Star Guitar

It was my birthday recently and as I sat down for breakfast with the boy, Star Guitar came on. Life ain't so bad sometimes y'know? Also, shout out to the late-night MTV2-ness of the video.


Related post: 9 in 1 (6)