12 Sept 2021

Radio 1 Residency Reworked

BBC Radio 1's Residency has reworked its format for autumn/winter 2021.

Gone are the eight DJs a month for six months at a time on Sundays. Now it's two DJs every week for a month on Thursdays. And it looks like it's all change on the DJ front, which means that:

  • Amelie Lens
  • Anz
  • Avalon Emerson
  • Carista
  • Carl Cox
  • DJ EZ
  • Joy Orbison
  • Sherelle

Have all finished their residencies. TBH, it's only really Avalon Emerson that I'm gonna miss from that list.

Anyway onwards and upwards, first up in the new format is Todd The God (the other one), Todd Edwards, the New Jerseyite god of UK Garage. Yes, mate. Ela Minus follows (not listened to that one yet, but it's up on BBC Sounds) and in the following months, Shygirl and Maya Jane Coles will join the roster. I didn't catch the others as Denise Lewis kept interrupting. 

To clarify, I'm starting Couch to 5k from scratch again after the summer off and for some reason, my man Michael Johnson isn't on there any more. Shame they didn't take my suggestions on board for new coaches, but Denise is OK.

Back to Todd Edwards, I'm still working my way through the first show, but already Chris Lake & Armand Van Helden - Work! is a highlight.

Related post: Radio 1's Residency: Spring 2021 Update