5 Feb 2022

9 in 1 (13)

Figured I should do a post that isn't entirely about my radio show, so here's another good ol' list.

   

Stevie Wonder - All I Do

NGL, I made this playlist ages ago, and I can't remember why I put All I Do on here, besides it being a banger obvs.


Wee - Aeroplane

This on the other hand was definitely played by Flo on the NTS Beakfast Show. As sampled by Kanye. Mad this was made in 1977. Plus Wee.


Sophie And Peter Johnston - Torn Open

James Pants tweeted "You guys want to hear a really good song?" a couple of weeks ago and a link to this song. The Creep Zone dude wasn't wrong. The synths sound like crystals on this lost 80s pop banger.


Y Brodyr y Ffin - Dal i Freuddwydio (Cymysgiad Estinedig)

Started listening to Rhys Mwyn on BBC Radio Cymru for an in on Welsh-language music for Amser Electroneg. He dropped this a couple of weeks ago and I can't find a way to get the mp3 legally, so it's going here. A stonking, sprawling, weird slice of electronic new wave pop from 1986.


The Power Station - Some Like It Hot

One of the many CDs I kept from my Dad's collection was Robert Palmer's greatest hits. I had no idea what or who The Power Station were - "It was made up of singer Robert Palmer, former Chic drummer Tony Thompson, and Duran Duran members John Taylor (bass) and Andy Taylor (guitar)." 

Powerful stuff. I promise you there is stuff from this century in this playlist.


Mag & The Suspects - Erection

Not yet though. Erection is lewd, taut post-punk / new wave from 1981. 

And hey, it looks like the mp3 of it is still available here. An mp3 blog, working in 2021. It's beautiful.


The Vanishing - Lovesick

Right, here we go. Erol Alkan did a Trash special last month on his NTS show and this honking, propulsive post-punk-revival stomper from 2004 was one of many highlights. And I mean honking, if you're not a sax man then avoid. I'm not big on sax, but it works yerr.


Nightmares On Wax - Aftermath (LFO Remix)

LFO doing their bleepy, sub-bassy, stripped back, LFO thing. Yes, mate.


Drum Mist X Dead Man's Chest - Higher

As featured on Tim Reaper's Essential Mix last month, new jungle sounding like old jungle, always gold.


Related post: 9 in 1 (12)