30 Dec 2023

Top 10 Things I Heard in 2023


So here we are. The Top 10 things I heard in 2023. As per usual, it's not stuff that necessarily came out in 2023, but what I first heard this year. 

And TBH it was a bit of a struggle. Maybe I've been more depressed than I thought? Or busier? Why not both? Despite a late flurry of posts, this year has been the quietest on the blog since I started in 2009. No radio shows, not even a Buzz review. Maybe next year will be different. Maybe not.

Anyway, fuck you 2023, here's a final playlist...

In no particular order:

  • Yellow Magic Orchestra - Cue (1981)
  • The Style Council - Shout To The Top (1984)
  • Idris Muhammad - Could Heaven Ever Be Like This (1977)
  • Midnightrats - Goalmaker [Instrumental Version] (1983)
  • Hudson Mohawke and Nikki Nair - Set The Roof feat. Tayla Parx (2023)
  • Com Truise - Brokendate (2011)
  • Dampé - Glow (2023)
  • Sfire - Sfire 1 feat. Marcela (2019)
  • Confidence Man, Daniel Avery - On & On (Again) (2023)
  • Käärijä - Cha Cha Cha (2023)


Album of the Year

Probably Chemical Brothers - For That Beautiful Feeling (I bought about three albums that came out this year).


Gig of the Year

Again, it is probably Chem Bros down at 'The Bay Series'. Gwilym was also good in Clwb, as was Gold Panda. Struggling to think of any others.


Mix of the Year

Obvs my All Welsh Colour Run Bangers YouTube playlist but if I had to pick something else, either Teki Latex at HÖR or the NTS show of game music for water levels.


Related post: Top 10 Things I Heard in 2022