26 Feb 2023

9 in 1 (22)

Proper Sunday Fear kicking in right now, fending it off with some decent tracks like...

Gong - Love Is How You Make It

I first heard this track on Four Tet's DJ Kicks comp. I hear he's now hanging out with Skrillex and serial Wikipedia fiddler and son of King's Counsel barrister Charles Anthony Warneford Gibson, Fred Again. He looks happy.

Aphex Twin - QKThr

This was trending on Spotify last month amongst Aphex tracks. Apparently, it was popular on TikTok with the #corecore. I don't know what this means. Know Your Meme says "Many corecore edits hark on sadness, depression and loneliness with many using sad slideshow audios." OK, pal.

Newyddion / Geraint Davies - Arwyr

Proper good 80s indie pop, a little like Prefab Sprout, which features on a comp called Caneuon yr 80au: Dal i Freuddwydio that came out last year on Sain Records.

Bando - Shampw

Same era as Newyddion, but a completely different vibe, this is slick disco funk yn Gymraeg.

The Clash - The Magnificent Dance

A bassline that can walk for days, when people say punk funk, this is right up there with ESG.

Suburban Lawns - Flavor Crystals

I promise we'll move on from the 80s in this list soon, but for now it's Suburban Lawns from 1983. Its angular post-punk has a bassline that reminds me of Milk and Alcohol by Dr Feelgood or maybe it's something else entirely. Good though.

Comet Gain - Love Without Lies

Right, this came out in 2008 but it's still pure post-punk revival indie sleaze. The best I can do right now. Not sure how I missed this at the time?

The Bucketheads - The Bomb

I always thought it was 'peace and boogie in my mi-i-ai-ind'. Apparently, it's 'these sounds fall into my mind'. Fun time commercial house from 1995.

Ginuwine - Pony (Rustie Remix)

Genuinely gutted I only just learned this existed. Like Comet Gain, how the hell I missed this when it came out I'll never know. It's disappeared off SoundCloud but my word what a ripper. In related news, it looks like Rustie is returning. Get. In.

Related posts: